Friday, November 11, 2011

The one where I talk about my house...

My house is messy. Why? Well, I'm an exhausted mom of a spirited toddler who thinks that making messes is fun.  Add in the fact that I'm naturally a messy person, and yes, you have a messy house.  Is it dirty? NO. It's cluttered. It's a messy. But trust me, you won't find anything freaky or disgusting around. No bugs. You aren't going to catch some crazy disease.  I'm not that bad.    I don't sanitize daily, I happen to have a love/hate relationship with germs. Love the good ones, hate the bad ones.  I'm not going to kill the good ones one too. We need them. They help us and our immune systems.

So, if you walk into my house, you'll find toys on the floor. Clothes on the floor. Maybe some pieces of paper that the toddler ripped up(yay! fine motor skill practice!!!!).   Books(Yay! We LOVE to read!).    In the boys' bedrooms you'll find toys all over the floor(yay! My boys play in their rooms! How great is that???). Maybe some clothes that the 9.5 year old didn't pick up because, well, he's 9.

In the kitchen you'll find dirty dishes.. Why? Well, the dishwasher was out of commission for a few days, and I'm still trying to catch up. I've been busy and tired in the evenings and haven't gotten them done. I plan on doing them today.       In addition to being busy, I have kids.  My kids are growing so incredibly fast that I don't want to miss a single moment of it.   And if that means leaving dishes in the sink at night so I can play with them, or even sit and watch them play, I'm going to do that.   I don't want to look back on their childhoods and say "man, I spent all that time cleaning my house.. What did my kids do while I was doing that?"
Yes, I know, kids can clean too. And they do.  For the most part.   But this isn't about them, it's about me. :)  So, I just have to say, that if you come to my house and complain about it being messy, I'll reply with this: If YOU want my house clean, feel free to come and clean it yourself.  I'm going to play with my babies.


One Hundred Years from now (excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)
One Hundred Years from now
It will not matter
what kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
how much money was in my bank account
nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a better place because
I was important in the life of a child.

Cooking and Cleaning....


"Cooking and cleaning can wait til tomorrow
                                                  For babies grow up, I've learned to my sorrow. 
   So, settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. 
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." 
 -unknown

1 comment:

  1. >>If YOU want my house clean, feel free to come and clean it yourself. I'm going to play with my babies.

    Well said :)

    My DH's memories are how often his mum cleaned...daily. He didn't really want me to turn into full SAHM, in case I'd turn and become boring. He has more memories of his v busy father still teaching him electronics, programming at 5 years old...even though his father was very busy man with correspondence courses and schoolwork on top of his full-time teaching, planning and marking - relating to your rant about public-school-parents above. (I do love my MIL though, she just loves her home clean and minimalist, thus horrified at idea of any messy play...)

    - urbanfamily - just wandered in here from GCM :)

    ReplyDelete